As we all know, the Federal Government has shut down due to a lack of funds to continue operating. Here are some random facts to ponder:
1. This is the first government shutdown in 17 years - the last time it happened, Fife Symington was Governor of Arizona, and Bill Clinton was President of the US.
2. Ford and Carter had 6 partial government shutdowns over federal funding for abortion, affecting only the Departments of Labor & Health, Education and Welfare.
3. There have been 11 shutdowns over the issue of the US budget deficit.
4. The shortest shutdown lasted 1 day, the longest, 21 days.
5. Of the 18 shutdowns, 15 have been under the Democratically-controlled House of Representatives. Nine have been under a Republican-controlled Senate.