GLENDALE, Ariz. –Glendale’s favorite summer tradition is back for its 50th season beginning June 2 in downtown Glendale. The eight-week concert series takes place each Thursday at 8 p.m. through July 21, in the Murphy Park Amphitheater, located at 58thand Glenn drives.
The 50thAnniversary Celebration Concert is scheduled for Thursday, June 23, in which the community will be invited for a special performance and a ceremony that will include dignitaries, former band members and special guests, as well as the debut of an original piece of music composed for the Glendale Summer Band.
The Glendale Summer Band is the longest- running community band in Arizona. The ages of the volunteer band members span several generations. Formed back in 1966, the band originally played at O’Neil Park, before moving to Murphy Park when the amphitheater was built. Music lovers of all ages will be entertained by approximately 100 musicians with their inspiring renditions ofmarches, polkas, movie medleys and other tunes.These free concerts are the perfect night out for the entire family, or bring your friends, neighbors and the whole gang! Bring lawn chairs or blankets for seating. Snacks and refreshments will be available for purchase at the concerts, which will go on through July 21. The series will feature a special Patriotic performance on Thursday, June 30 in celebration of Independence Day, aswell as other themes each week, which include:
· June 2: There’s Something About Music (Great opening of season music)
· June 9: Celebrate the 1960s (Popular TV, movie and Broadway music from the 1960s)
· June 16: What I Like About You (Favorite selections from current and past conductors)
· June 23: Milestones and Memories: 50thAnniversary Concert & Amphitheater Dedication (Premiere performance ofAn Arizona Celebrationby Andrew Balent)
· June 30: Happy Birthday, America! (Patriotic and All-American, Summer Band Singers)
· July 7: Never Grow Up (Music from Peter Pan, Hook and children’s favorites)
· July 14: The Great Gershwin! (The music of George Gershwin)
· July 21: Audience and Band Favorites (Favorite band and audience end-of-the-season music)
The Glendale Summer Band concert series is sponsored by the Glendale Civic Pride Ambassadors and the Glendale Rotary. For more information, call the Glendale’s Special Events hotline at 623-930-2299, or visit www.glendaleaz.com/events.