The holidays are a special time, but there are members of our community who miss out on the magic of this season. They struggle with isolation, health or just making ends meet.
You can make a difference for those in need by supporting one or more of the city’s holiday assistance programs. To learn more about the programs and how to contribute, visit ScottsdaleAZ.gov and search “Scottsdale Shares.”
You can also watch this video:
Scottsdale holiday programs that assist those in need include:
Holiday Adopt-A-Family Program
This Vista del Camino Center program helps families and individuals facing challenges to have a happy holiday season by providing food and gifts for the holidays. For more information, call 480-312-0063.
Scottsdale senior centers invite individuals, families, community groups and local businesses to make the holiday season brighter for isolated, homebound seniors. Participants can use a wish list to shop for a senior, donate items or gift cards. For more information, call 480-312-8465.
Scottsdale Fire Department Toy Drive
The Scottsdale Fire Department's annual toy drive begins the day after Thanksgiving and continues through Christmas Eve. Citizens are encouraged to drop off new, unwrapped toys at one of Scottsdale’s 14 fire stations or the Police & Fire Headquarters Building, 8401 E. Indian School Road. For more information, call 480-312-1817.
Vista del Camino Food Bank
Vista’s food bank accepts donations of canned foods and non-perishable items. Items most needed include peanut butter, tuna, canned meat, spaghetti sauce, pasta, rice, dried or canned beans, jelly, soup, canned fruit, cereal and boxes of macaroni and cheese. Donations are accepted at Vista, 7700 E. Roosevelt St., and the Via Linda Senior Center, 10440 E. Via Linda. For more information, call 480-312-2323.
Starting this Saturday, a number of events are taking place to support Scottsdale holiday assistance programs. They include:
- Contribute to the United Scottsdale Fire Fighters Association’s Holiday Turkey Drive from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. this Saturday, Nov. 7, and Nov. 14 at two Scottsdale Safeway locations:
- 14696 N. Frank Lloyd Wright Blvd. (94th St. and Frank Lloyd Wright)
- 32551 N. Scottsdale Road (Just north of Lone Mountain Road)
- Fill a police cruiser with food donations. From noon to 4 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 14, police cruisers from the Scottsdale and Paradise Valley police departments will be located at the Safeway located on the northeast corner of Scottsdale Road and Shea Boulevard. Shoppers can drop off food donations in an attempt to fill the cruisers. Donations will support the city’s Adopt-A-Family and Vista food bank programs.
- Donate a toy and get a free engine ride. Children can ride free in a fire engine from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 5, at the Target store, Loop 101 and Frank Lloyd Wright Boulevard. To participate, donate a new unwrapped gift for Scottsdale Fire’s annual holiday toy drive. Call 480-312-1817 for more information.
You can get information on all of these programs and more by calling 480-312-3111 or by visiting ScottsdaleAZ.gov and searching “Scottsdale Shares.”