PRESCOTT, Ariz. –The Embry-Riddle Prescott Campus is kicking off the University's celebration of its 90th anniversary during the OctoberWest Homecoming event Sept. 30 through Oct. 3, 2015. Highlighting the event is the Wings Out West Air Show, a free private show for alumni, current students, staff and their guests. Headlining this year’s show will be National Aviation Hall of Fame Inductee Patty Wagstaff.
Leading up to the Wings Out West Air Show, the nearly weeklong celebration includes an Alumni Awards dinner and banquet, golf tournament, fireworks show, athletic events and networking opportunities for alumni and students.
“The entire Prescott Campus is proud to be hosting the kickoff for the 90th anniversary celebration at OctoberWest this year,” said Embry-Riddle Prescott Chancellor Dr. Frank Ayers. “A 1920s theme will carry through the entire weekend with a surprise appearance by T. Higbee Embry and John Paul Riddle at the Friday night Alumni Awards banquet, and the Saturday air show featuring nationally famous performers Patty Wagstaff, Matt Chapman, Bill Stein and our own Melissa and Rex Pemberton.”
Special events scheduled for OctoberWest 2015 include:
Thursday, Oct. 1
- Career Industry Expo: Embry-Riddle graduates and current students can explore co-op and internship opportunities with some of the industry’s top employers from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Activity Center on campus.
- Alumni “Eagle Night” Networking Event: Alumni, faculty and staff can meet and mingle with graduating seniors from 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the Hassayampa Inn in Prescott.
Friday, Oct. 2
- Annual Alumni Golf Tournament: 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Talking Rock Ranch Golf Club
- Career Industry Expo: Company interviews from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the campus library
- College Open Houses:4-5 p.m. at the College of Aviation and College of Arts & Sciences (AC-1 Atrium), College of Engineering (AxFAB Atrium) and College of Security & Intelligence (Building 17)
- Friday Fair and Official Opening Ceremony: 5 p.m. to 8:15 p.m. featuring a Flyover demonstration (scheduled for 5:15 p.m.) as well as free food, live music and activities
- Alumni Reception and Awards Dinner: 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. in the Eagle Gym
- Fireworks show:8:15 p.m. at the Lower Recreation Field
- Hypnotist: Back by popular demand, Bruce McDonald will demonstrate the entertaining power of hypnosis at 8:45 p.m. in the Activity Center.
Saturday, Oct. 3
- EAA Pancake Breakfast: 8-10 a.m. at the Flight Line at Love Field Municipal Airport
- Cross-Country Meet: 9 a.m. at the Lower Recreation Field
- Wings Out West Air Show: 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. This event is a complimentary private air show just for the Embry-Riddle community and guests. It includes a pancake breakfast, static aircraft display, and a meet-and-greet with the performers afterward in the hangar. All air show activities take place at the Embry-Riddle Flight Line. Access to the Flight Line will be by shuttle bus leaving the campus bookstore every 15 minutes.
- Patty Wagstaff: A six-time member of the U.S. Aerobatic Team, Wagstaff has won gold, silver and bronze medals in Olympic-level international aerobatic competition and is the first woman to win the title of U.S. National Aerobatic Champion and one of the few people to win it three times. Wagstaff is one of the world’s top air show pilots, flying low-level aerobatic demonstrations before millions of people each year. Her performances give air show spectators a front-row view of the precision and complexity of modern, unlimited hard-core aerobatics. Her smooth, aggressive style sets the standard for performers the world over. For more information, go towww.pattywagstaff.com.
- Matt Chapman: Sponsored by Embry-Riddle and an airline pilot when not performing, Chapman began flying aerobatics in 1984 and quickly worked his way up to the highest level of competition aerobatics – the Unlimited category. At the 1998 World Aerobatic Championships, Chapman was the highest-ranking American pilot, finishing third in the world with a bronze medal and led the men’s team to a silver medal. For more information, go tohttp://mattchapman.com.
- Melissa and Rex Pemberton: Known for high-performance aerobatic displays in the Edge 540, Embry-Riddle alumna Melissa Pemberton also has mastered wingsuit skydiving, flag jumps and more. Citing coaching from the likes of Wayne Handley and Michael Goulian, Pemberton was named the youngest female ever to the 2006-2007 U.S. Unlimited Aerobatic team and was a member of Stars of Tomorrow. Husband Rex Pemberton has performed thousands of skydives, including wingsuit skydiving at the world’s largest air shows. For more information, go to www.sportsgal.com.
- Bill Stein: Logging over 5,000 hours of aerobatic and formation flight, and currently flying his state-of-the-art Zivko Edge 540, Stein has been performing at air shows all across the United States since 1995 and has entertained millions of air show fans. For more information, go to www.billsteinairshows.com.
- Women’s Soccer Match: 2:30 p.m. vs. UC Merced at the Soccer Field
- Soccer Homecoming Tailgate: 4 p.m. at the Soccer Field
- Men’s Soccer Match: 5 p.m. vs. UC Merced at the Soccer Field
- Volleyball: 7 p.m. vs. Simpson University at the Eagle Gym
- Blue & Gold Bash and Paint Party Dance: 8-11 p.m. in the Student Union Lower Hangar
See more at:http://prescott.erau.edu/octoberwest/.
About Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, the world’s largest, fully accredited university specializing in aviation and aerospace, is a nonprofit, independent institution offering more than 75 baccalaureate, master’s and Ph.D. degree programs in its colleges of Arts & Sciences, Aviation, Business, Engineering and Security & Intelligence. Embry-Riddle educates students at residential campuses in Daytona Beach, Fla., and Prescott, Ariz., through the Worldwide Campus with more than 125 locations in the United States, Europe, Asia and the Middle East, and through online programs. The university is a major research center, seeking solutions to real-world problems in partnership with the aerospace industry, other universities and government agencies. For more information, visitwww.embryriddle.edu, follow us onTwitter (@EmbryRiddle)andfacebook.com/EmbryRiddleUniversity, and find expert videos atYouTube.com/EmbryRiddleUniv.For more about Prescott Campus, follow on Twitter at@ERAU_Prescottand atfacebook.com/ERAUPrescott