(Prescott, AZ – September 8, 2014) The recent storm not only left flooded streets; it left fallen trees, damaged roofs and stressed residents. To help ease the tension of recovering after a storm, Better Business Bureau (BBB) offers five tips to get residents back to normal as soon as possible.
Five Tips on How to Recover after a Monsoon:
1. Assess the damage. Will the roof need repair? Did a tree fall over? Is there damage to your vehicle? Conduct an informal inspection to assess the storm’s damage to your property and vehicle. Make note of all damages and document with pictures, if possible.
2. Contact your insurance company. After assessing the damage, contact your insurance company. Be very thorough and document the time and date you called, the person you spoke to and the damages reported. Ask about coverage before hiring someone to do repairs.
3. Research companies. Do not just select the first company that knocks at your door or comes up on a Google search. Visit bbb.org to view the company’s BBB Business Review and learn about their rating, complaint history and customer reviews. To find a list of BBB Accredited Businesses committed to operating ethically and honestly, visit SearchBBB.org.
4. Check licensing. Make sure the company is licensed to perform the work needed by checking with the Arizona Registrar of Contractors at azroc.gov.
5. Get everything in writing. Once you have conducted research and selected a company, make sure to get all promises in writing. Ask for an estimate listing all work to be performed, the cost and estimated completion date. Ensure all verbal promises are in writing. Keep all documentation.
Common Industries to Research after a Storm:
- Roofing Contractors
- Auto Repair and Service
- Air Conditioning Contractors and Systems
- Tree Service
- Landscape Contractors